In a step to make Tagbilaran a smoke-free city, the 13th Sangguniang Panlungsod approved on final reading Proposed Ordinance No. 10-17 during the last legislative session for year 2017 on December 27. The anti-smoking ordinance bans smoking or vaping in public places across the city, and limits the use of cigarette including e-cigarettes and other similar devices only in designated places duly approved by the City Health Office. P.O. No. 10-17 is intended to strengthen the national government’s campaign against smoking which aims to protect public health by reducing exposure to secondhand smoke and encouraging smokers to quit. Tobacco consumption and exposure to tobacco smoke have long been identified as one of the leading causes of death, disease and disability in the country.
Other prohibited acts provided for under Section 5 of P.O. No 10-17 are the following:
1. For persons-in-charge to allow, abet or tolerate smoking or vaping in places enumerated in the preceding paragraph, outside of approved Designated Smoking Area;
2. Selling or distributing tobacco products and/or ENDS to minors;
3. Purchasing tobacco products and/or ENDS to minors;
4. Ordering, instructing or compelling a minor to use, light up, buy, sell, distribute, deliver, advertise or promote tobacco products and/or ENDS;
5. Selling or distributing tobacco products and/or ENDS in a school, public playground or other facility frequented by minors, offices of the Department of Health (DOH) and attached agencies, hospitals and health facilities, or within 100 meters from any point in the perimeter of these places;28
6. Selling of tobacco products and/or ENDS within premises of a government facility;
7. Selling tobacco products and/or ENDS without a municipal permit to sell tobacco products or ENDS;
8. Selling of tobacco products and/or ENDS as individual pieces or per stick, or in tobacco product packs containing less than 20 sticks/pieces;
9. Selling tobacco products and/or ENDS removed from its original product packaging or without the proper government-regulated and approved health warning;
10. Selling tobacco products and/or ENDS by ambulant or street vendors, including other mobile or temporary stalls, kiosks, stations or units;
11. Selling or distributing of sweets, snacks, toys or any other objects in the form of tobacco products which may appeal to minors29;
12. Placing cinema or outdoor advertisements of tobacco products and/or ENDS;
13. Placing, posting, displaying or distributing advertisement and promotional materials of tobacco products or ENDS, such as but not limited to leaflets, posters, display structures and other materials within an establishment when such establishment or its location is prohibited from selling tobacco products and/or ENDS;
14. Placing, posting, displaying or distributing advertisement and promotional materials of tobacco products or ENDS, such as but not limited to leaflets, posters, display structures and other materials that show a tobacco/ENDS brand’s name (including company name), logo or indicia, such as in a point- of- sale establishment, where minors are allowed entry;
15. Conducting promotional activities, campaigns, events, product sampling, and the like, where the establishments or its location is prohibited from selling or unauthorized to sell tobacco products and/ or ENDS, and/ or where minors are allowed entry;
16. Openly displaying and placing tobacco products and/ or ENDS in open store shelves/racks, except in enclosed, opaque and single-coloured storages/containments;
17. Facilitation, participation or partnership engaged by any government official or personnel, regardless of employment status (permanent, casual, contractual, job order, consultant or special appointment) in any form of contribution, sponsorship or corporate social responsibility (CSR) activity, event, program or project by a tobacco company, tobacco industry front groups, or any representation working to protect tobacco industry interests, executed for or within the territorial jurisdiction of the City Government of Tagbilaran, with the aim, effect or likely effect of promoting a tobacco products and/ or ENDS, its use either directly or indirectly.
P.O. No. 10-17 is sponsored by the Chairperson of the Committee on Health , Sanitation and Environmental Protection, City Councilor Eliezer Borja. It shall be submitted to the Office of the City Mayor for approval. Once approved, this smoke-free ordinance shall take effect fifteen (15) days after its publication in newspaper of general circulation or posting in at least two (2) conspicuous places within the city.