JOSE ANTONIO SALERA VELOSO PROFILE
Jose Antonio Salera Veloso, who is fondly called “Toto” by his friends and family, was born in Tagbilaran City on June 13, 1960. He was named after San Antonio de Padua whose feast day also falls on his birthday.
His parents, Jose Veloso, once the COA Auditor of the Island Province of Siquijor and Primitiva Salera-Veloso, a respected educator throughout the years when Holy Name University was still known as Holy Name College and Divine Word College. She retired as Vice President for Academic Affairs, and was a two-term Councilor of Tagbilaran City.
The family is composed of 5 brothers and 3 sisters.
The eldest, Jose Emmanuel (+), passed away while still a high school student.
Maria Elizabeth V. Garcia finished the Nursing course at the Bohol Provincial Hospital School of Nursing, and is presently a Certified Critical Care Registered Nurse in New York University Downtown Hospital. She headed TBTK (Tigum Bol-anon Tibuok Kalibutan) for 9 years. She is married to Gavino Garcia.
Michael is a Commerce graduate and was affiliated with San Miguel Corporation until his retirement as District Sales Manager. He is now a successful proprietor-manager of his own business. He is married to Helena Antonietta Yap, formerly the manager of RCBC Tagbilaran Branch before she retired.
Toto, who is the fourth in the family is married to Lura Butalid and are blessed with three children, namely: Joan Lorraine Veloso, Jan Lawrence Veloso and Jan Lucas Veloso
Maria Pureza V. Chatto finished a Bachelor’s degree in Mass Communication at the University of the Philippines-Dilliman, a Bachelor of Science in Nursing graduate of HNU, and is the Manager-Proprietor of First Flower Avenue. She is the First Lady of Bohol, she being married to Governor Edgardo M. Chatto.
Raymond is in USA and heads a department in Anaheim Hospital, while practicing Physical Therapy during his free time. He is married to Grace Borja, a registered nurse.
Maria Gerardine V. Lisondra is a BSN graduate, and now works at the Provincial Treasurer’s Office. She was married to the late Juan Lisondra.
Dominic manages Mindanao’s Ecofoods Corporation, and maintains a supplies store in Valencia, Bukidnon. He is married to Anna Victoria San Victores.
Toto Veloso had his elementary studies at Divine Word College, Tagbilaran City (1966-1972).
He had his secondary studies at Divine Word College, Tagbilaran City (1972-1976).
It was also at DWC where he decided to take up Bachelor of Science in Commerce, Major in Economics (1976-1980).
He went to DAP (Development Academy of the Philippines) for a course in Basic Legislation.
At the UP NCPAG (University of the Philippines National College of Public Administration and Governance) he took up Legislation Enhancement Course.
In 2006 he went back to Holy Name University and graduated with a Master’s degree in Public Administration
From 1981-1986, he was employed at NFA (National Food Authority) as Operations Officer.
After resigning from NFA, he became an affiliate of JNB Trading, marketing caterpillars, and large fishing boats for General Santos and Zamboanga.
2001-2004 – Elected as Councilor of Tagbilaran City
2004-2007 – Elected as No. 1 Councilor of Tagbilaran City
2007-2010 – Elected as Vice-Mayor of Tagbilaran City
2013 – present – Elected as Vice-Mayor of Tagbilaran City
- During his term as councilor, he sponsored and co-authored the following ordinances and government programs.
- Investment Incentive Code
- Regulation of Water Refilling Stations
- Regulation of Tour Guide Operators
- One Stop Shop in relation to the Anti Red Tape Program of the Government
- Blue Card Program
- Botika Sa Katawhan
- He was elected as Majority Floor Leader during his second term as councilor.
- He was one of the 7-man Philippine Delegation to the Australian Political Exchange Council (APEC) in Sydney, Canberra, and Adelaide
- He was a delegate to the CONBUSAC (Confederation of Boholanos in USA and Canada) convention in Tampa, Florida, USA.
- He went to China for the Sisterhood Agreement between Jiangxi Province and Bohol.
- National Auditor of Vice Mayors’ League of the Philippines (VMLP) (2013 – present)
- President of Vice Mayors’ League of the Philippines (VMLP), Bohol Chapter (2007-2010)
- Vice Chairman for Visayas Philippine Councilors League (2003-2007)
- President of the Bohol Sandugo Jaycees (1988-1989)
- Senator JCI Senate International (2011- present)
- First vice president of Tagbilaran Dagohoy Lions Club in 2012
- Vice President and Rector of the Bohol Corsillo Movement
- President of VUNCBY-DRAFT Family, Inc.
- Member of Associate Bohol Jaycees